| Everyday Maternity

A Letter to my Son on His Commencement Birthday

Dearest Oscar,

Happy birthday to my darling son! I can't believe it was a yr ago today that y'all came into our lives bringing the states so much happiness. Yous are the smiliest baby I've ever seen, making friends where ever you go and spreading so much joy. Though nosotros've been looking forward to this 24-hour interval, it is bittersweet – I love seeing you flourish and grow all the same I'm so lamentable to exist leaving behind the baby days and approaching toddlerhood. I wish I could bottle the feeling of having you every bit a babe and sample it again every now and then but as that's incommunicable I will just take to drink it in as much as I can, take all the photos and videos and relive this time in memory.

Having yous has changed me and then much equally a person, I didn't recollect I'd be a 'mumsy' mum only my honey for you lot has meant throwing myself full throttle into motherhood and loving every moment of it! Some of my favourite days were early on on, those quiet moments at 2am when it was merely the two of us feeding and cuddling similar we were the only ii people in the earth.

The mean solar day we had you was past far the best day of my life… The days leading up to it were scary when I discovered complications in my pregnancy, and nosotros had to visit the infirmary nigh everyday to check you were ok. Even on the day we had you I was so scared that something would go wrong and terrified to accept an functioning – I'd never had 1 before! The moment you were placed on my skin all the fright melted away and your sweet face looked up at u.s.. I couldn't believe that you were mine. Born at 4.28pm, weighing 6pounds and half dozen ounces, you were tiny picayune thing but so so strong and salubrious!

Our four days in infirmary with you were quite magical, caught in a bubble simply the three of us for the majority of the time with all the help we needed to get you feeding beautifully until we were set to take you home. Taking you dwelling house was an amazing day too, showing yous where y'all would live, sleep and where y'all would exist growing up for the foreseeable futurity.

One time daddy went back to piece of work, our days felt a picayune lonely only we before long made lots of friends who I hope y'all will grow upwards with and know forever! You lot are e'er so loving and gentle with the other babies and ever take a grin and a cuddle for everyone!
Information technology's been incredible watching yous progress through your milestones, we cheered when you lot began to be able to concur your head upward at around three months, we loved it when you could sit unassisted at 8 months, you started crawling at xi months and at present you are continuing and walking with aid. You are always hesitant and desire something to be perfect before you try it and then when you do, y'all're so proud of yourself and make sure everyone can see! My favourite milestone has been when yous kickoff smiled and soon you were laughing… you'll laugh hysterical… you love to express joy, it's your favourite thing! Everyone that meets you describes y'all as chilled out and such a relaxed and happy infant, even if something upset you, you're soon smiling again!

You started eating real food at six months and again you were hesitant and it took you lot a while to warm upwardly to it but now you are a totally foodie and will happily eat anything. As long as you are feeding yourself! Y'all have quite the contained streak! Getting your outset tooth at nine months was another heady moment and now you've got a few more than coming through!

Nosotros absolutely love travelling with you and we're so lucky that you love to travel too! In the Britain we took you to Soho Farmhouse and Manchester, abroad you're visited Ibiza, Austria, Oman and Dubai. These trips meant so many wonderful firsts, such as staying in a hotel, seeing the sea and beach, seeing snowfall, pond, going on a boat… I was hoping you might see a few more places by end of the year but even if nosotros don't four countries by one year old is withal a rather ballsy achievement!
Doing things with you lot just makes everything better and more special. It was the best Christmas we e'er had, my favourite birthday ever and Mr S's best altogether. Having you in our lives enhances every moment!
In March when you were eight months old, the Corona Virus pandemic hitting the earth and you will be forever a 'Corona baby'. I was pitiful that we couldn't come across your grandparents become to our baby groups, run across our friends or really practise whatever fun activities at all. Even your birthday party won't exist what I envisioned. But fortunately you won't know the problem that faced the earth in 2020, you were but happy to have your daddy dwelling house, daily walks in the park and lots of mummy's habitation cooking! Now we're coming out of lockdown, you're seeing your grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, friends and you lot're notwithstanding just as socialable as y'all ever were!

I tin't wait to see what this year brings and watch you blossom fifty-fifty further. I know you volition be kind, practiced, brave, handsome and clever. Y'all volition always honey your mummy the virtually and I will always beloved yous with all my heart. Happy altogether to my darling boy.